ecommerce growth coach to foundersyour guide on the road to profitable ecommerce growth
ready to build for the long haul
“14 Conversion Experts You Should Be Following”
“32 CRO Influencers That Rule Optimization”
“World’s Top 25 Most Influential Conversion Rate Experts“
“45 best CRO Experts to Skyrocket your website conversion”
What are the next best actions you should take to grow your ecommerce business profitably and sustainably?
As you build your ecommerce business you get busier. Your time and energy spreads across all departments. I know. I've been there and I've worked with 100s of founders and marketers in the same position.
Get ongoing, trusted advice from an ecommerce 'veteran'.
Somebody that understands your business and marketplace on;
- The strategies you look to adopt.
- The team you hire and train.
- The technology you invest in.
- The operational processes you develop.
- The brand that you build and the market you create.
- The community that you lead.
Running an ecommerce business is an adventure, there’s no question about that. One where the priorities you place and the decisions you make are critical to growth success. And by growth, I’m talking the profitable, sustainable type of growth. Real growth.
I’ve been there too. I’ve built an ecommerce brand from scratch (the stereotypical back of a beer mat idea that somehow takes on its own life). I’ve also advised 250+ ecommerce founders over the past 12 years across an ever-widening array of challenges they face. I get it.
You don’t get it until you’ve done it. The excitement and fear. The highs and the lows. It’s the cliched rollercoaster of emotion that the blogs and podcasts rarely prepare you for.
“Working with Ian is probably the best thing that has happened to us in the last 6 years. Ian has managed to help us turn a corner by training up our team immensely."
Rivki @ Private White VC
Ecommerce coaching - are we a good match?
Some of my coaching clients are founders of 8-figure brands. Leaders of direct to consumer brands that are established and on the front foot in terms of building for the long haul.
I also coach founders who are just starting out. Funded or bootstrapped. Purpose-driven entrepreneurs who know:
- the importance of building a truly customer-centred ecommerce brand
- the value of trusted advice each step of their ecommerce growth journey
- the need to build on firm foundations inc. market positioning and brand differentiation
Markets? My clients are founders of purpose-driven direct to consumer brands. Product makers and market shakers. The majority are building clothing & lifestyle, health & lifestyle or food & drink brands. Brands with a purpose. Brands where repeat business and customer loyalty is critical to success.
Clients at different stages in their journey.
My coaching and the guidance you receive is tailored to you. No playbook. No 10x growth plans that guarantee success. This is the real work.
“He truly has become an essential part of the business and continues to exceed my high expectations in every way. Ian's also very fun to work with which is an added bonus!"
Keri-Ann @ Startup Women's Fashion Label
Who won't my ecommerce coaching suit?
Dropshippers, general retailers, Amazon sellers or those with the desire to get rich quick. If you’re looking for the easy route? a) it doesn’t exist b) we’re not a good match.
My clients are product makers and market shakers.
Founders invested in creating products & retailing to market niches where products matter to their customers.
Day to day, how will this work?
Where do we start? With a big old chat through where you’re at right now, how you got there and where you want to head. Our remit is wide. The who, the what, the why’s and the when’s. Our first meaningful task it to prioritise the work.
I’m here as your coach and trusted advisor. I’m also a practitioner. I get this stuff. We get granular learning the data. Not data-led, but data-informed. We get slightly nerdy adopting the tech. We get creative talking the messaging and your positioning in the market. We work through how you make what you make matter (to those that matter most).
I work with a select few founders. People that I can get on with and people that I believe in. It has to be a two-way relationship. You’re putting your trust in me and that means an awful lot. I never take it for granted.
You’ll have questions. A lot of questions. I’d be naïve to say I have all the answers, but this is an ongoing process. I’m there in your corner to find solutions and to give you real confidence in the decisions you make and the priorities you maintain.
On the operations side...
- How do we use data to measure success?
- What technology should we be using? Will it scale?
- What channels work best for us? What about attribution?
- What is our retention strategy and how do we incentivise repeat business without heavily discounting our products?
- What pricing strategy suits us? Shipping costs? Do I discount?
- How can I improve inventory management, order processing and dispatch?
- How can we launch product subscriptions successfully?
- What strategies am I missing? Where do I need to invest our time?
- I love the idea of building community. What are the steps to take?
- What does data tell me I don't already know? What actions do I now need to take?
- What do I outsource? Are my agency doing their job correctly?
On the practical side...
- How do we understand and measure our customer lifetime value?
- What Klaviyo email flows should we build? what segments should we focus on?
- How do we capture more relevant customer data as we grow our list?
- I need data.... I think. What data do I need?
- Copywriting is a struggle, what tone best suits our brand?
- How do we get better customer reviews? Quality as well as quantity?
- How can we develop our loyalty programme?
- How do we make the most of the post-purchase experience?
- What apps should we be looking to use? What budget works for our tech stack?
- I love the idea of creating articles, but what should we be writing about?
There's a lot for us to cover. Let's prioritise.
What will the schedule look like?
What do you get for your money?
We have scheduled weekly calls. Usually around half an hour. Zoom, phone, screenshares, whatever we need to do. Each call we review work that’s taking place, discuss challenges and plan for the week ahead.
We use Slack. We use email. I’m here to answer questions and provide all the insight I can throughout our work together. My job is to provide value. An ROI-based value? It’s difficult to attribute, but I’d sure hope you see worth behind our work together.
You receive daily lessons by email. Each working day (you get the weekend off for good behaviour) I’m sharing advice from my work and my experience that’s relevant to you. Not generic motivational bullshit (you’ll get enough of that on LinkedIn). Real, practical advice. Your time is precious, we’ll keep this as productive and as succinct as we can. More time for you to lead and do the doing. The reality of building an ecommerce brand.
You’re not stuck in a long-term contract. Again, my objective is to provide value beyond a contract for work. This is all I do now. I learn. I coach. I teach. If it’s not working for you then we part ways. I’ll do my darndest to make sure that doesn’t happen, but you never know for sure.
So, I’m here to share 24 years in the trenches of ecommerce. Seeing what works, what doesn’t work, what should work and what never will. It’s never been a more exciting time to run an ecommerce business. As I said earlier, it’s an adventure. I’m here to deliver you guidance each step of your ecommerce growth journey.
Your initial questions answered
Ready to learn more?
To check suitability and availability use the form below (or email me at [email protected]) and I'll be in touch to answer your questions, learn more about your brand and to discuss how I may help grow your ecommerce business.
"I have no hesitation in recommending Ian to any start up business owner no matter how small your niche, he is truly outstanding"
- Sharon Demmery - Founder of Demmerys.com